Have you ever considered learning how to do a full and new moon ritual ? Full and new moon rituals can have a profound effect. For thousands of years people have used the cycles of the moon to release energetic blocks which are holding them back and to also add power to their intentions to manifest the new into their lives.
There’s no question that the push and pull of the moon affects us. The moon creates the tides so it stands to reason it would effect us because we are 80% water. When done with intention, the moon is a powerful energetic tool that we can work with.
Why do a ritual?
I personally think you don’t need a ‘ritual’ as such because the power lies in your intention. But most of us have a need for ceremony, ritual and story to add importance and meaning to something. This in turn gives us a stronger intention……which is what does the work. You may be one of the few people who doesn’t need any form of ritual as your intentions are strong enough already. But for the rest of us, a little ‘magic’ in our lives goes a long way. I have found that setting intentions during a full or new moon carries extra punch purely from a planetary alignment perspective.
Full moon energy
The full moon is the perfect time to say goodbye to anything that no longer serves you. The power of the full moon will help you to release any blockages you may have. This is because full moons symbolize the end of something. It’s wonderful at helping you to release old patterns, behaviours, people, things, emotions, pain etc that may be holding you back. If you are feeling stuck in life or are resistant to change, then you have something that needs to be let go of. After all – how can the new come in when all the space is being taken up by the old?!
New moon energy
The new moon is all about bringing in the new. New opportunities, new love and healing that we might desire. It is a perfect time to set intentions for the upcoming month, visualising your best life, see yourself achieving goals and learning healthier ways of being in the world.
Each full and new moon occurs in a particular astrological sign. Each astrology sign is related to different aspects of our lives. You can really strengthen your healing/manifesting abilities by working with the relevant topics for each sign. For example, Libra is all about communication and relationships – so a full or new moon in Libra is perfect for working on themes related to how you communicate to others or your relationships. Google will be your friend for researching the astrological placement of the next full/new moon.
Below is a popular full and new moon ritual. This is what I also use:
- Write down your intentions: on a piece of paper write all the things that you want to release (during a full moon) or attract (during a new moon). I’ve found it useful to write each issue on a separate piece of paper so that I can focus on each item in step 4.
- Decide how you will symbolically release these to the universe. Options include:
- Using fire: Build a fire outside (if appropriate & check local fire warnings before doing so). Or use the flame of a candle and do the it over a metal sink or another fire proof area. **PLEASE BE CAREFUL when dealing with naked flames!!**
- Tearing or cutting up the pieces of paper.
- Other: go with what feels right for you. You are only limited by your imagination. For example, you could bury your bits of paper.
- Note: If you are going to do this over a open fire or bury them, you could write your intentions onto to sticks.
- Cleanse your space & yourself: There are many options for cleansing including:
- Smoke: eg from a Smudge Stick, eucalyptus leaves, rosemary, basil, pinecones, pineapple leaves all have cleansing properties when burned.
- High frequency sound: eg bells/cymbals or singing bowls or tuning forks.
- Loud noises: Clapping your hands loudly or playing drums to create noise.
- Take a few moments to call in your guides and reach a place of peace. Take your piece of paper, read what you have written (aloud or silently) – setting your intention to release/attract this aspect. Then let it go to the universe in your preferred method as mentioned in step 2.
- As each item is released to the universe, close off that intention with some words that have meaning for you. For example “And so it is”. Words carry meaning and power for us, so use them.
- End the ritual by cleansing your self & your space and give thanks to the universe, the moon and your guides.
Can you get it wrong?
There is no right or wrong way to do it. Put as much or as little ceremony into it as you like. Just connect with your intention as deeply as you can because its the intention you have behind it that matters. You might like to meditate before hand, put on some music, use crystals, make an alter or get dressed up – what ever you need to make it more meaningful for you.
I have heard some amazing shifts take place for people who use this method, so I hope you give it a try one day.
Looking for more?
If you are new to the metaphysical and spiritual, I share a list of books that got me started. On this page I list the books and videos that were recommended to me.